Sunday, November 8, 2015

10 Beautiful Rooms

Walk with me into Monday as I've got some real treats for you this week. First up is the New York loft of the British couple Andrew Corrie and Harriet Maxwell Macdonald, who owns Ochre and it sets the tone for this week.

This sums up my perfect style of Urban Glamour. Look at that antique mirror and how it contrasts with that chandelier. And then that chair in the most delicate shade of pink and that industrial black coffee table against that huge slab of black fireplace.

image by Ditte Isager

The New York Loft of Harriet Maxwell and Andrew Corrie of Ochre. Image by Ditte Isager

And don't forget the detail of that strong pink vase on the mantelpiece. Details people details. Below is their kitchen. More fabulous lighting together with old wooden floorboards and black units. I don't know if the wall is concrete or polished plaster but whatever it is I wish mine was the same.

image by Dittle Isager

The New York Loft of Harriet Maxwell and Andrew Corrie of Ochre. Image by Ditte Isager

Just in case anyone was still in doubt that the television looks better against a dark wall look at this. Imagine how it would dominate the room if that wall were white. And yet here it looks perfectly acceptable. The dark sofa balances it and spot my other rules: wooden tables for warmth and texture and that chandelier for the metallic element.

Sticking with chandeliers, which is not a sentence I ever thought I would type as I don't have any and never thought I wanted one but apparently I am quite drawn to them, what about this one against these tall dark walls and wooden doors. This is largely a proportion thing I think.

A friend of mine has just redone his bathroom and made the door much taller. It's a small thing but it looks totally amazing. Somehow you draw yourself up as you go in and it makes everything seem taller and bigger. And better, clearly. That's a trick that's now on my list. My long list, if I'm honest, but listed all the same.

Found on greigedesign.blogspot.com

Found on greigedesign.blogspot.com

Not a chandelier but an impressive grouping of lights. Let's not talk about clusters, that makes me think of headaches. This is chandelier done in the modern way and, probably, one that I prefer although I think if you keep it modern round the edges – dark paint, funky furniture – it doesn't have to look like you've moved into Buckingham Palace.

Found on home-designing.com

Found on home-designing.com

No chandeliers here but some unexpected green lights over this rustic island in a warehouse conversion. I love this kitchen although, while I'm definitely not the tidiest person I've ever met, I'm definitely bothered by those stools. It looks like they were all sitting on them and jumped off to take the picture. Which might be spontaneous and natural but I wish they'd straightened the middle one a little. OCD? Moi? Apparently so.

Next up we're taking a little trip round Soho House. I was incredibly lucky to stay in the Berlin branch for a couple of nights last month and it's just my perfect decor. It probably is for many of you too, which is why I make no apologies for showing you a few of the rooms in today's post as they are, indisputably, the very essence of urban glamour.

Soho House Berlin

Soho House Berlin

Above is the reception of the Berlin House, the former Politburo headquarters located in the east side. I love how the enormous chandelier contrasts with the exposed concrete pillars. The rug is a patchwork made up from various old Turkish rugs stitched together. If you want one check out Carpet Vista – that's my hot tip for today. Mind you there are 309 pages to click through so try and refine the colours you want before you start.

Soho House Instanbul

Soho House Istanbul

This is possibly even more lovely. It's from the new branch in Istanbul. Obviously we can't all have ancient frescos on the wall (I know. Why not?) but that aside, the contrast of the blush pink sofa and the black and white chairs is a classic. Now that we can recreate.

Copyright_SohoHouseIstanbul_P6

Soho House Istanbul

Similar colours in the bedroom and it would be eminently possible to find an old carved door or screen to use as a headboard. See the concrete again to the right of the picture.

Finally, staying with hotels, this is the staircase from the LA Ace Hotel. Blue black and brass. When the spotty carpet dies I might look into brass edging on the staircase. It looks great against the dark panelling doesn't it. And that's only tongue and groove. That's easy.

staircase at the ace hotel

So there you have it people. The secrets of Urban Glamour. I hope you enjoy.

 

 

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/20FOSHW

No comments:

Post a Comment