Sunday, November 1, 2015

10 Beautiful Rooms

via planete-deco.fr

via planete-deco.fr

Happy Monday to you all. The weekend was spent in Berlin celebrating the blog’s No1 status at the Interior Blog Awards and now the children are back at school, which always means a little rest and a lie down and a stroll through 10 Beautiful Rooms.

We’re starting off in a loft today because last week I had a client who lives in a fabulous loft and who wanted some help with furniture for it. It was such a beautiful space: concrete kitchen worktops, huge windows, high ceilings, wooden floors and great lighting. It looks nothing like the one above but I was feeling lofts when I saw it. I might be tempted to paint the bricks white in this one above to lighten it a little.

Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 11.07.18

Ed Burstell’s home

Remember a few weeks ago I was talking about seeing a house where the owner had left everything white except for a bold pink stripe round the cornicing? Well this is that house. It belongs to Ed Burstell, the managing director of Liberty of London, and isn’t it a good idea? It’s unexpected and subtle and cool at the same time. I may just rip it off.

Kelly Hoppen's home

Kelly Hoppen’s home

This loft space by Kelly Hoppen is another great room. I have always wanted one of these bubble chairs but at around £3,000 it’s unlikely. I might have been tempted to find a rug that was slightly more exciting than this one but it would be wonderful to have a space like this. I like the ceiling and the dark floor and the black accents which are really helping the taupe out…

Back to a bit of concrete. I love everything about this kitchen although a rug on the floor – faded, Persian sort of thing would look great and make the space slightly less strict if you see what I mean.

If I ever did have a loft I would be very tempted to close off the kitchen like this, with glass walls and doors. Might be practical for cooking smells but mainly just because it looks good and allows you to go wild with that black and white tile while giving it a natural end point.

Mind you I like the idea of using tiles as rugs, and they are also more practical than rugs under tables. Mind you a patterned rug won’t show the crumbs, or the wine spills. I know this because I have one. I love how the owner has used green chairs round this table which is an unexpected colour but looks fantastic.

rustic dining table

Back to the monochrome discipline of this dining room and this raw wooden table is a fantastic contrast to the elegant black chairs and pendant light. I would definitely stick a rug under here to soften it all off a bit.

My eye was drawn to the fabulous gold, YES GOLD, extractor fan in this image although I’m a fan of the dark dining room too. And below is the other end of the room. The colours are dark and the furniture is quite restrained and grown up except for the shaggy pouffe which is such a wonderful and unexpected sight and brings some fun to the room. Hands up who is reminded of Dougal. If that were in my house I would constantly be expecting it to start running round after me.

Finally, this kitchen is to prove that when it comes to lighting there are no rules. A few months ago my Aunt was asking me what to do about a pendant light that was in the wrong place. Actually it was in the right place for 364 days of the year but on the 365th she likes to have a massive party and move the dining room table to the side of the room to make space for her guests and then the pendant light is in the way.

So I suggested she lengthen the flex (cord naturally) and stick a hook in the ceiling so she can move it to hang over the table in its new party position. The rest of the time she can loop the flex prettily down from the central rose as the light hangs in its normal dining position.

She thought this was a revelatory idea and had never considered anything like it. And I tell you this, not to say that I am brilliant lighting genius (HA!), but to point out that where, once upon a time, if a light was in the wrong place it was a tricky and annoying thing that would probably involve an electrician and nowadays it’s a design feature. So much so that half of us are busy sticking hooks in the ceiling just so we can move the light around when it wasn’t even in the wrong place.

via estmagazine.com.au

via estmagazine.com.au

Wishing you all a merry day, may it be full of wine and cake.

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/1Oied6I

No comments:

Post a Comment