Monday, October 26, 2015

10 Beautiful Rooms

via koolandkreativ.blogspot.co.uk

via koolandkreativ.blogspot.co.uk

I always want to start these posts with a cheerful "Morning!" but then I remember that some of you are reading in the afternoon, or at night or even Not.On.A.Monday when they are published. So you'll have take the greetings and salutations as a given and not mind when I jump right in and say that I never could resist an internal glass wall. I would happily take down several of my plaster ones if I could a) afford it and b) persuade the rest of the household. It's sort of open plan living with noise reduction.

Plus I'm a journalist. I'm inherently nosy, glass walls would suit me down to the ground. Not to mention make the space feel bigger…

via sarah klassen.com

via sarah klassen.com

Anyway, it ain't gonna happen. Not in this house anyway, so I'll just have to content myself with gazing at pictures. So the second room is this Spanish house designed by Sarah Klassen. I love the floorboards laid into the stone and the monochrome colour scheme which makes it all feel so light and airy.

Found on magazijn.eh-i.nl

Found on magazijn.eh-i.nl

From beams to bricks. The rough painted brick walls are a perfect foil for the luxurious velvet sofas, especially the navy one with quilting and the copper arc lamp. Just a simple reminder of how important it is to mix up textures in a room.

jordanferneyhometourbedroom via cupofjo.com

jordan ferney's home tour via cupofjo.com

What about this bedroom? Isn't it just heavenly, I feel like getting my paint brush out RIGHT NOW. The paint is apparently Dark Kettle Black by Valspar, which is now available in the UK so let's get going…

What's great about this bedroom is that the owner has made no attempt to lighten it after painting the walls dark. I like that the duvet cover is also a dark inky blue and not white or grey. That girl has gone for it. And this girl thinks she might too.

Found on planete-deco.fr

Found on planete-deco.fr

Never overlook the possibility of a patterned tile floor. We all know that patterned carpets are out of favour and struggling to make a comeback, although who's to say they won't break back through eventually. In the meantime, a patterned tile is a great way to bring in a little more personality and soften all the straight lines. It makes a change from using wallpaper to bring in pattern and hell, those colours and designs hide the dirt.

via planete-deco.fr

via planete-deco.fr

Every home should have a little pattern somewhere and tiles are a good way to go. Especially in a kitchen where there are so many hard surfaces.

This kitchen below has no pattern – a little might have been good on the floor. But it's by Milanese designer Pietro Russo so I'm probably not going to pick a fight with him over it. This is his own kitchen and instead we'll focus on the wonderful tactility of the concrete worktop, the industrial units (those handles) and the half (all right two thirds) painted wall.

Designer Pietro Russo's house

Designer Pietro Russo's house

Isn't this a wonderful staircase? Staircases are often woefully overlooked in our decorating schemes. Regarded usually as just a means of getting from A to B we stick a carpet (not often a patterned one either) down and leave it at that. But for the most us the staircase is the first thing you see when you come into a house. It leads the eye up and away and gives a hint of what is the style to come.

Also, if your hall is full of coats and messy boots, you really need that staircase to work hard and move the eye onwards and upwards. We can't all (or even any of us mere mortals) have brass balustrades like these but the point remains the same. Don't forget the stairs people, they are the spine of the house and we know how important that is.

image by Pietro Russo

image by Pietro Russo

After all the dark and moody rooms, sometimes it's good to remind ourselves just how lovely a simple white bathroom can be. But this has had a few tweaks to really elevate it.

We've already spoken about patterned tiles but now look at the panelling. It looks fabulous in this room. I had a bathroom tongue and groove on the walls but this takes that one step further and I love it. Finally the brass fittings. Tricky this: brass is still earbleedingly expensive for bathrooms and it can be hard to find everything you need.

I had just managed to persuade Him Outdoors that we should have brass taps in the loft bathroom when I realised I couldn't find a bath waste, loo flush and bottle trap for the basin. Someone suggested spraying the bottle trap but that doesn't come into contact with water. I wasn't sure about the bath plug and overflow so in the end we stuck with chrome.

Finally, another wall effect that I long for but which I'm not sure would work in my house; distressed plasterwork. In this Bath house which is available for photoshoots via Light Locations it looks wonderful, but I'm not sure I could pull it off in a Victorian terrace. One for my Venetian Palazzo maybe…

 

 

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/1i8j6Ri

No comments:

Post a Comment