Sunday, March 6, 2016

10 Beautiful Rooms

We're going to start this week by celebrating some beautiful rooms and the photographers who shot them. After all, we all know how much skill goes into that. This dark kitchen above is a real beauty isn't it. I have never been a fan of dark wood in kitchens – perhaps it is because the wood often looks like (or is) shiny veneer but this is is matt and dark with a visible grain and rather lovely. Particularly when contrasted with the rough and uneven floor. It's this contrast of textures that makes this work.

Next up these images by William Waldron for Architectural Digest. I know from shoots in my own house how hard it can be to find a balance between a room that looks real and lived in, rather than just a set that has been well photographed. You can imagine walking in here with a cup of coffee and sinking into that fabulous tiger print chair can't you. And we're obviously loving the dark walls.

Mind you, I wish I could have created this for my loft extension. Isn't that just fabulous? I imagine that in reality, the sun would be too hot and would fade all your furniture.  In our last house we had a wall of bookshelves that were to one side of a skylight window. When we came to pack them up to move house we realised that most of the paperbacks had completely faded so you can no longer read the titles. It's looks great on a shelf but isn't ideal if you actually want to look for a specific book.

I yearn for a bathroom with concrete or tadelakt walls. I love the simple colour palette of this and am definitely going to research this kind of freestanding shower pipe tap thingy. I expect I would have to sell a child to afford it but at least I can find out…

image by Brian W Ferry for Dwell

image by Brian W Ferry for Dwell

The next three images are from a converted barn north of New York. I love the monochrome colour palette and lots of wood. I think the kitchen has been painted in a greeny grey – try Pigeon by Farrow & Ball if you want something similar.

image by Brian W Ferry for Dwell

image by Brian W Ferry for Dwell

And I love the bathroom. I would really like to paint my bathroom window frame in a dark colour but I think it's a serious fiddly job and presumably involves taking out the window so that ain't gonna happen.

image by Brian W Ferry for Dwell

image by Brian W Ferry for Dwell

Below is a room decorated by Ilse Crawford, one of my design heroines. I was mainly drawn to the fabulous wall lights.

Finally this house in Barcelona where the combination of colours is simply breathtaking. I love the idea of soaking everything in this rich dark green and then creating spaces in the wall for salmon pink to shine through.

What do you think? This probably isn't something we could easily recreate in our own homes but it's certainly a colour combination to look out for. I've given you a bonus picture this week because I thought it was worth you seeing it from all angles – literally. You can click the captions if you want to see more. Have a great week everyone. Do drop in tomorrow when there will be an interview with Sarah Mitchenhall, winner of this year's Great Interior Design Challenge.

from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/1LL78eI

No comments:

Post a Comment