Sunday, January 3, 2016

10 Beautiful Rooms

Well here we are again. Is it too late to say Happy New Year? I think today might be the cut-off point. So, you're back at work, the children are at school/nursery/with someone else, you've contemplated the gym and (possibly) decided the mountain of laundry is more important/interesting/possible and then you've thought: "Hang it all, there's so much to do I'll just take a little break with cup of tea/coffee/something green and kaley and have a quick stroll through Ten Beautiful Rooms before I get on with the day.

This is fine if it's pre-11am. If you're having these thoughts at 6pm you might need to write today off and start again tomorrow. After all why follow the herd? Who says everything has to kick off on a Monday? Sometimes you need Monday to recover from making sure that everyone else's Monday got off to a good start and plan to quietly get yourself going on a Tuesday instead. In which case Happy Tuesday (we've moved on from New Year now, it's nearly February, do keep up).

Anyway where were we? New Year's Resolutions? Got any? Broken any? I made an excellent list of resolutions back in November when I was being super-organised and ON IT. Unfortunately I have mislaid the notebook I made them in so can't possibly start them until I find it. Which will probably be about March, when they become new season resolutions. Or more likely – last chance to lose those pesky 10lbs before the summer holiday resolutions.

Still never mind. It's January and we're all still alive and kicking (or at least waving an ankle limply) after all the excess of the holidays so it can't be all bad.  I've just remembered I'm supposed to be taking up Yoga this year. It's an age thing, I feel it might the the answer to the creakiness. Do I want to do that? Do I have to subsist on mung beans and lentils if I do Yoga? Can I do Yoga and Gin? Is that a thing?

Swerving slightly off message there should we talk about interiors? What am I resolving there for 2016? Well, hopefully a little tweak of the kitchen. The ideas are still swirling around in a haze at the moment and haven't quite come to rest. I'm about 90 per cent there with it but still feel it's missing the thing. You know THE THING. The one that brings it all together and turns it from a kitchen into a KITCHEN.  It'll come to me…

What else? Well, there's the book of course. Shades of Grey which is out on 11 February. I'm also working on a little capsule furniture edit with one of those well-known online furniture retailers. That should be out in April. I have lots of lovely clients lined up for madaboutyourhouse and last year saw the start of a little sideline, otherwise known as Mad About The Office.

Via Elle decoration Photo by Lisa Cohen

Photo by Lisa Cohen via Elle Decoration

When it comes to my own house what are the plans apart from the kitchen? Well in theory that's about it. I'm sure I will continue to buy things and to make small alterations but, for me at least, the key is to buy carefully and responsibly. Yes I'm all for a bit of fun – those who have followed the blog over Christmas will have seen the lightbox antics, but when it comes to furniture and lighting, I want to make sure that we have only things that we either need or that will be life-enhancing. I've said it before but let's make 2016 the year of William Morris: Do not have anything in your home that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

Actually that sentence could be expanded to your whole life. Why go near anything that isn't one of those two things?

And with that I leave you. I'm off to research Yoga classes… which will involve new kit definitely – useful and beautiful. And there's my ultimate resolution: In 2106 I intend to be both useful and beautiful. Cheers….

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/1RkGlWv

No comments:

Post a Comment