Sunday, June 19, 2016

10 Beautiful Rooms

gold kitchen cupboards by Fiona Lynch

gold kitchen cupboards by Fiona Lynch

We're going bit glam this week and starting off with this fabulous kitchen by one of my favourite designers Fiona Lynch who is based in Australia. Now I know that many most will look at those gold cupboards and think: I couldn't possibly. We will get bored/tired of it and anyway whoever heard of such a thing as gold cupboards?

black and white kitchen by Fiona Lynch

black and white kitchen by Fiona Lynch

Well I disagree. It doesn't have to be gold but I think you should always try and do something bold and brave and unexpected. Something FUN. Too many houses are painted in sensible colours to try and future proof them and I understand that I really do. But breaking out and changing just one cupboard door, or one shelf and doing something a little bit bold, a little brave and, hell, a little bit irresponsible, is good for the soul.

Remember when you were in your twenties and you did all spontaneous things like stay up all night or decide to drive to Brighton to see the sunrise and paddle in the sea? And then there were kids and jobs and responsibilities and Saturday night on the sofa and suddenly there wasn't time for all that nonsense.

esny black kitchen

esny black kitchen

Well that gold cupboard is the reminder. It's your old self coming back out. And every time you see it, it should remind you of the fun times of your youth and who you were before you had to grow up.

So, as I say, it might not be gold for you. But whatever colour it is, whatever unusual finish you find, don't be afraid of it. It's you and it's your house.

soho house chicago

soho house chicago

I'll stop now. And you can feast your eyes on these rather gorgeous green sofas which look so wonderful in this monochrome space. Next time I decorate, green is going to be the colour. If you get the right shade it goes with so many other shades. It may be the next best neutral after grey. There I said it!

Dean Street Town House by Susie Atkinson

Dean Street Town House by Susie Atkinson

And when I look at this picture, I wonder why I don't have any pink walls. It's another great neutral and if you pair it with some black or charcoal it gives it a bit of edge and stops it being too girly. The problem comes when you mix it with other pastels and the whole scheme becomes a bit sugary sweet.

Rose Uniacke's home in London

Rose Uniacke's home in London

Take this room above. It's all very neutral but that cloth over the bedside table brings the whole space to life. It's not a look I would normally go for but it works here. In fact, the whole room looks more like a still life painting that a modern London townhouse.

london townhouse via Homes and Gardens

london townhouse via Homes and Gardens

There's more pink in this room above but only a little and it could be any colour you like. But it just livens the space up. The owners of this house have taken out the solid wall behind the sofa which separated the sitting room from the hall and replaced it with glass. It's a great way to increase the light all round and, as you would mostly be sitting with your back to it, I don't think it would affect how you used the space.

esny brooklyn apartment

esny brooklyn apartment

Two contrasting dining rooms for you here. One very grown up and, I have to say, gorgeous. Replace the bar cart with a really big plant just to soften it a bit and remove a couple of the chairs to round the edges (there's a bit too much going on there) and it's a wonderful space.

Or perhaps you prefer the more rustic farmhouse kitchen at Soho Farmhouse where, if you follow my instagram you know I stayed last week. And I'll tell you all about that soon – you're going to like it.

soho farmhouse kitchen

soho farmhouse kitchen

I hope you like these rooms and they will inspire your next decorating scheme. See you tomorrow.

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/23kRScE

No comments:

Post a Comment