Sunday, May 29, 2016

10 Beautiful Rooms

Abi Cambell's modern rustic kitchen

Abi Cambell's modern rustic kitchen. Image by Matt Clayton

This must be one of the most-requested images that I see when I meet clients for my interiors consultancy madaboutyourhouse. Everyone loves this kitchen – myself included – so I'm delighted that I've finally managed to track it down and we can see a little more of it.

Abi Cambell's modern rustic kitchen. Image by Matt Clayton

Abi Cambell's modern rustic kitchen. Image by Matt Clayton

Now that I see another view, I'm particularly taken with the pantry at the end of the run of cupboards. We have a similar space in our kitchen but it houses the boiler and the washing machine so there is a solid wall at the end as it's not beautiful in there.

In my 3am fantasies I dream (no, not of Pitt or Clooney) but of being able to move these two mammoth pieces of equipment down to the cellar and replacing the wall with a window like this, so that I too could have a pantry. This has been a dream from long before I saw this kitchen and the fact that someone has actually done it only makes me want me it more.

As for the 3am fantasies – sad I know. Must be an age thing…

Abi Cambell's modern rustic kitchen. Image by Matt Clayton

Abi Cambell's modern rustic kitchen. Image by Matt Clayton

Just to round it off I thought you should see this view too. This illustrates a point that I often make to clients. Yes it's fabulous to have a large kitchen for sitting and gathering etc, but the actual kitchen bit, the working space doesn't need to be that big. That way you can have everything close to hand and both it and you can function efficiently.

Sticking with the colours but throwing in a bit of panelling. That's more of a 4am obsession for me. If I'm still awake and sliding into that middle of the night depression that there will not actually ever be a moment when it will make financial sense to rip out a working boiler and washing machine, spend thousands of pounds tanking a damp cellar and moving the plumbing so that I can create my dream pantry, I move onto wall panelling fantasies.

industrial loft in the netherlands via design milk

industrial loft in the netherlands visit design milk to see more. image by Herman van Heudsen

That, at least, feels like a more realistic way of spending money (that I don't have). After all you can buy that from B&Q and how hard can it be to stick it on a wall? Of course this then rapidly moves into the – I need to put this at the eating end of the kitchen. But there's a radiator on that wall. Why oh why didn't we put in underfloor heating when we moved in? I'm going to have to move that radiator, which is plumbing, so while I'm at it I might as well move the boiler and the washing machine and create a pantry…. this is what keeps me awake at night; inventing problems I don't have so I can worry about them instead of the ones I do have.

canal house netherlands via design milk

industrial loft in the netherlands visit design milk to see more. image by Herman van Heudsen

Seriously I'd get a lot more sleep if I just stuck to Pitt and Clooney – those two aren't nearly as complicated.

Anyway sticking with the panelling, how lovely is this? This is a fairly modern extension by the looks of it and yet this panelling really brings something to the space.

black panelled wall via shootfactory

anders house via shootfactory

You can see the rest of the room here. It works well doesn't it, although I would be tempted to paint the kitchen cupboards under the marble island in black as well. You would only see them from certain angles so it wouldn't make the room darker but would tie the two halves together.

white marble kitchen with black panelled wall via shootfactory

white marble kitchen with black panelled wall via shootfactory

This kitchen below is huge but is probably the product of a sledge hammer and a couple of RSJ's so it's not something that we couldn't all achieve if we were prepared to take walls down. Anyway, never mind that, it's the panelling. Again.

aylestone london via shoofactory

aylestone, london via shootfactory

This kitchen, which is also on the shootfactory, has a huge amount of storage in an unconventional manner. I love this wall of cubby holes (and have, indeed, come up with this idea for more than one of my interiors clients) and the fact that there is no overhead cupboards keeps this narrow kitchen feeling light and spacious.

These have been artistically arranged (the modern word is probably curated) but you could fill them with plates and glasses and store keep masses of stuff if you needed to.

gabriel-london-nw2-1161-1004-1200x800

gabriel house via shootfactory

This is the bathroom in the same house. Simple, monochrome, effective. What do you think? And for those of you keeping a tally, yes there are 11 rooms this week. That's because I wanted to show you more than one shot of some of them so I thought it was only fair to throw in a bonus. I'm nice like that. No really it was deliberate. Nothing to do with me losing count at all.

gabriel-london-nw2-1161-1030-1200x800

gabriel house via shootfactory

Really it wasn't. Have a lovely Monday everyone.

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/1NY2gnR

No comments:

Post a Comment