Sunday, May 22, 2016

10 Beautiful Rooms

rustic kitchen table and white walls via stadshem.se

rustic kitchen table and white walls via stadshem.se

Trying to start the week feeling serene and calm and these first few rooms fit the bill perfectly. Natural floorboards, rustic wood and white walls. Not for nothing is there an instagram hashtag called #whiteworks. Because it does.

white painted brick wall via stadshem.se

white painted brick wall via stadshem.se

As much as I like dark walls – and they do photograph particularly well – you can’t beat a white room either. My house is dark grey downstairs, half and half on the first floor and white at the top. It isn’t quite as planned ombre as that makes it sound but you get the gist.

brick wall and monochrome via stadshem.se

brick wall and monochrome via stadshem.se

I’m not averse to painting the bedroom dark – and we may yet do that – but at the moment it’s white (wimborne) and may move to a soft pale grey when I can be bothered to get the paintbrush out (don’t hold your breath too hard on that one).

rustic wooden doors into sitting room

rustic wooden doors into sitting room via stadshem.se

But a white room can be stark and cold. These are not. Look closely. These rooms, from a selection of Swedish sites have lots of details to warm them up. Rustic doors, natural textures, leather, wool, linen and plants. Lots of plants.

via esny.se

via esny.se

This room above mixes dark modern cupboards with a traditional parquet floor and a mid century marble table. Below, the owners have a painted tin tile ceiling, painted brick wall which they have juxtaposed with that parquet floor. On the face of it a combination that shouldn’t quite work – New York loft with Parisian elegance but it does work. Why? Because the furniture is quite traditional but the colours are moody and monochrome so all the natural features on the walls and floors stand out.

by petra bindel for elledeco.se

by petra bindel for elledeco.se

The next two rooms show my love of internal glass walls to perfection. Both of which, I’m guessing, were installed as a replacement for a proper wall so you can do this wherever you can afford the steels to hold the ceiling up.

But one sits in a white room and one in a black. Which one do you prefer? You see I love the serenity of the white one but the black one photographs so well doesn’t it? I really do need two houses. Or, at the very least, one double-front one that I can do half and half so that I can spend time in each side depending on my mood or the weather outside.

But every now and then you do need a splash of colour. So in my double-front house I might have one room painted in this colour. It reminds me of the ocean and is similar to my aquamarine engagement ring.

The Twickenham home of Lady Wakefield

The Twickenham home of Lady Wakefield via House and Garden 

However, given that the reality is (probably!) that I shan’t be winning lottery funding any time soon perhaps I should stick with my single-fronted house and its half and half colour scheme which is where we seem to have ended up – black kitchen cupboards, white walls, black sitting room walls, white ceilings and floors. This room below will do very nicely as inspiration.

image by petra bindel for elle decoration sweden

image by petra bindel for elle decoration sweden

 

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/1NGd4H6

No comments:

Post a Comment