Monday, December 28, 2015

My Top 10 Interior Design Tips #9

SEASONALISE SEASONALISE SEASONALISE

Now I'll be honest here, this is one of those tips that I preach but don't necessarily practice. I'm always intending to do it and I know people who and I'm full of admiration but, here in the Mad House, we haven't quite pulled this one off yet.

It's another of those brilliant Scandinavian habits that we're quite keen on the UK, and elsewhere come to that. So where you would have lots of warm cosy textiles in winter; think knitted cushions, faux fur throws, velvet and cashmere all layered onto your sofa for maximum cosiness, in summer you simply change them for lots of cotton and linen and lighter materials.

The Finns change their curtains seasonally too from heavy winter drapes to lighter muslin ones in summer. The Danes don't go in for curtains so that one doesn't apply for them. We have plain white blinds in every room so there's nothing for me to change there. You can also change rugs over too. After all, storing a rug rolled up under a bed doesn't take up much room and the same for cushion covers.

Hmm, perhaps I really will get round to it this year. After all, once the days start to get longer again who doesn't yearn for a little seasonal refresh to let the light in?

This post was a little hard to illustrate so I borrowed the images from Emily Henderson,  a stying genius who is quoted in my book (look out for that in February) as she did this post on styling one sofa four different ways and I thought it would give you the gist of what I was talking about. 

The post My Top 10 Interior Design Tips #9 appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/1Tns36u

No comments:

Post a Comment