Monday, August 1, 2016

10 Beautiful Rooms

And so to August when the Mad House takes a little break but, as ever, it's not disappearing completely, merely a chance for you to catch up on things we have looked at this year, remind ourselves of some of the objects of design and generally take a little breather from the Madness while being surrounded by some loveliness.

throw from soho house

But, before that starts I wanted to show you these pictures. As many of you know, I also run an interiors styling business called madaboutyourhouse.com.  It began a couple of years ago when readers kept asking me to source things for them. Eventually one asked me to help with her house and the business was born.

soho house furniture

Since then it has been growing and I have had lots of lovely clients, most of whom find me through the blog and continue to drop into The Mad House long after we have met and they have finished their houses (hi everyone, I hope you are all well. Solveig – have you done those alcove cupboards for the toys? Helen, did you get that quote for putting that wall back? Christina, I know you have finished that loft, well done. By the way, Davina, we need to get come proper pictures done and Paula, we need to talk about grey paint).

spoon sofa from soho house

I have loved meeting you (and everyone who I haven't namechecked too) and helping you make the most of the four walls that the builder and the bank manager gave you. I hope to meet many more of you in time as you move and improve and in doing so it probably won't surprise you to learn that one of the styles I am most often asked to help source is Soho House.

vintage stool from soho house

Many of you will never have been as it's a members only club but regular readers will know that, just like Down Pipe has become a synonym for dark grey paint, so Soho House has become shorthand for the style that I like to call Urban Glamour. It's a bit rustic but with an edge. There's plenty of vintage but lots of luxe. It's supremely comfortable but not slobbish.

brass table light from soho home

In short, it's pretty much the ideal style of The Mad House. And, guess what? I'm excited to tell you that, as of next month, you will be able to buy many of the pieces for your own homes. Which may just put me out of a job. I hope it won't, I think it might just make it a little easier.

soho house towels

Those of you who follow me on Instagram (come on over it's quite different to the blog) may remember a few weeks ago, I spent the night at Soho Farmhouse in Oxfordshire to see the new collection. I was the only blogger there among all the glossy magazines and newspapers (stick with me guys, I'll bring you the good stuff) and we did have a great time. I wish I was a member… Anyway, Nick Jones, the founder of the houses, said it had been in the pipeline for a while and admitted it was his own disorganisation which meant it had taken so long to bring it all together.

spoon chair and throw from soho house

I think it was worth the wait. There are some 450 pieces in the collection from glasses to sofas and pretty much anything you see on a visit is available to buy (you don't have to be a member to stay in the rooms by the way). There is also a collection of vintage pieces which, as we all know, are often the ones that bring the wow factor to the room, and certainly the ones that give a room its personality and individuality.

wall light tavistock from soho house

Because, and this is key, it doesn't matter if you all rush off and buy the same pieces as none of you will be putting them in the same room or styling them in the same way. Many (many) years ago when I was at journalism college, one of the tutors told us that if you sent 10 reporters off to the same event they would all come back with different stories. It's largely true and it's the same with houses. You might all buy the same chair but it would look different in each place.

high road house chiswick

As the company opens more houses, so the interiors collection will grow. They have also promised to add each house to the site so you will soon be able to shop Istanbul style or Shoreditch House (that's the one I'm waiting for). In the meantime there are five styles available: New York, Chicago, Babington, Farm and High Road (a small one in Chiswick).

bedroom at soho house nyc

The collection will be available to everyone in September and, in the meantime, you can register at Soho Home and receive free delivery on your first order. I can also tell you that everything comes wrapped in beautiful burgundy and cream dustbags which are brilliant for taking on holiday as shoe bags and laundry bags.

 

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/1MhlHBA

No comments:

Post a Comment