Sunday, July 3, 2016

10 Beautiful Rooms

bedroom at goodnestone house

bedroom at goodnestone house 

Right come up, get up, shake a leg, hit the floorboards. Time to get up, stand up, be counted, all of that sort of thing. I just think it's time don't you? Mind you this does look like a very relaxing bedroom. It's not my normal style but these are not normal times.

At the very least, stagger over here and have a cup of coffee while contemplating your next move. I have tended to think that the leather armchair was a bit over as a feature, but every time I see one, I want to sink into its reassuring arms and breathe deeply so perhaps it isn't. Perhaps we should all have them. Sturdy comfort at its best.

modern mirror via diningandlivingroom.com

modern mirror via diningandlivingroom.com

This is probably a bit more the usual style isn't it? I just adore that chair – if anyone knows what it is then do please let us know in the comments below. I could definitely forget all my cares and woes if I was sitting in that for a few minutes. Mind you, it might have to be water only in that one, the stress of a holding, and not spilling, a cup of coffee on that white upholstery might ruin the comfort factor. Back to the leather then.

parisian loft by studio ko

parisian loft by studio ko

Anyway, ready to venture downstairs now? Imagine being able to install a staircase like this in your house. It's rather fabulous isn't it? If I needed a spiral staircase I would so much rather clad it in metal like this rather than the usual itsy bitsy curly wrought iron look.

ellen de generes home by William Abranowicz for Elle Decor

ellen de generes home by William Abranowicz for Elle Decor

I would also be quite keen to come down here for my breakfast. I do like these walls that are clad with tongue and groove although it's not for everyone/every house. A friend of mine has done it in her Victorian terrace kitchen and it looks great but wouldn't work in the rest of the building. Mind you, you could upgrade it to panelling and suddenly it would be perfect.

internal glass wall design by hecker guthrie

internal glass wall design by hecker guthrie

But then I forget all my thoughts of charming rustic when I see this. The clean lines of the internal glass wall, the tiled floor next to the floorboards and the uncluttered simplicity of it all. The truth, as usual, lies somewhere in the middle. A marriage of the two styles.

black panelling in bathroom with marble and brass by hecker guthrie

black panelling in bathroom with marble and brass by hecker guthrie

And here it is. This bathroom, in the same house, managed to incorporate all those elements to create a look that is both modern but rustic. The hard edges, which are a feature of every bathroom, are softened by the wood and by the patterned floor. And, do remember to use this idea of bending the tiles up the wall in your next project – it adds a great finishing touch and makes it look like you really thought about what you were doing.

modern meets rustic in this Swedish home, image by Kristoffer Johnssonmodern meets rustic in this Swedish home, image by Kristoffer Johnsson

modern meets rustic in this Swedish home, image by Kristoffer Johnsson

Another key element to any room is the presence of natural wood, preferably old wood but bare, unpainted wood of any kind will do. It makes everything look better. Particularly in kitchens and bathrooms with the aforementioned hard edges. I particularly love this bathroom below with that row of vintage cabinets. That idea has definitely gone into the ideas vault for when our bathroom is redone.

image by kristofer Johnsson

image by kristofer Johnsson

Still, like the invalid that is just up after a period of convalescence, perhaps it is time to lie down again. We began in a pretty pink bedroom – mainly because, like Alice in Wonderland: " I can't explain myself, because I am not myself, you see" and we shall end in this dark grey one that is filled with books and equally relaxing in a different kind of way.

dark grey bedroom via shoot factory

dark grey bedroom via shoot factory

 

The post 10 Beautiful Rooms appeared first on Mad About The House.



from Mad About The House http://ift.tt/29i85es

No comments:

Post a Comment